Sometimes I meet a family and something just clicks. When that happens, the evening is just one big joyous adventure. Even months after photographing this particular family, my heart still gets all warm and fuzzy from looking through their images again. So I thought I would break down what exactly made their session so great:
1) Mom & Dad set the example! Because the parents were so carefree and calm, the girls followed their cues. This meant that nothing could get in our way, including the chilly weather! Their response to my suggestions was always, “Sure, let’s go for it!” As a photographer, I so appreciated that trust and patience.
2) They snuggled. A lot. I already tend to have a smile plastered on my face when I’m browsing through client images for the first time, and that smile becomes humongous when I find snuggling images. It’s such a tangible way to show love. And no matter how much the littles try to squiggle their way out of a snuggle, they secretly love it!
3) Mama had LOTS of outfit options for me to choose from. It was like I had walked into a kids’ clothing catalogue! She was prepared and then let me make the final decisions, which was immensely helpful.
4) We switched up the location, which gave us a diverse set of meaningful images. After starting at their gorgeous home, we headed out to the DeCordova Sculpture Museum, where they love to spend time as a family.
5) They were very clear with their preferences, which helped me prioritize what was important to them. For instance, mama told me that although their house was full of neutral colors, they wanted vivid, colorful images to display. So I made sure to pick out really colorful clothes for the girls!
6) They had a plan for printing their final images. I can’t stress this enough — images belong in your hands, not on a computer screen! From the very beginning, we planned to create a custom album from their images. We collaborated to create a design they were happy with. And in mama’s words, “I LOVE the album with all of my heart!”
I hope you’ll agree that these six things culminated in such a beautiful collection of images — one of my favorite sessions to date!